Sunday, April 5, 2009

2009 Cubs predictions

I would like to share with you not only my predictions for the 2009 Cubs season, but also those of my good friends Trevor Sierra and Andrew Kapral. The three of us have an annual tradition of looking into our crystal balls (or perhaps Christol ball, in my case?) and predicting a few elements of each upcoming Cubs season, and I figured it would be a nice kickoff to the 2009 campaign to share our predictions with you, and also to solicit your predictions.

Before I move on, I want to congratulate Andrew Kapral on his marriage to Jen Stephan (yesterday!). The event--which included a singing of "Go Cubs Go"--was wonderful, and I wish the happy couple all the best. On this day, we will even forgive Jen for being a Pirates fan. That is, of course, assuming that she has forgiven herself for being a Pirates fan.

For the record, I won a narrow victory in last year's prediction challenge, coming closest in three of the categories while Trevor and Andrew each tallied two. Way back in '07, Andrew dominated the competition, coming closest in four of the seven categories, with me taking two and Trevor just one.

And now, drum roll please ...

*2008 total in parentheses

Cubs wins (97)
Brandon 92
Trevor 89
Andrew 90

Zambrano wins (14)
Brandon 17
Trevor 17
Andrew 19

Fukudome average (.257)
Brandon .274
Trevor .271
Andrew .280

Gregg saves (29)
Brandon 31
Trevor 29
Andrew 23

Soto home runs (23)
Brandon 29
Trevor 27
Andrew 24

Marshall wins (3)
Brandon 12
Trevor 12
Andrew 10

Team double plays turned (118)
Brandon 149
Trevor 128
Andrew 128

At first, I didn't understand why Andrew suggested that last category. But then I did some research and discovered that the Cubs have been atrocious at turning double plays over recent years, making this an interesting category to predict. The last five years, the Cubs have finished last in the majors twice, second to last once, third to last once, and 26th overall once. So they have finished in the bottom five in double plays turned every year since 2004. The last time they were decent was 2003, when an infield led by Alex Gonzalez and Mark Grudzielanek turned 157 twin killings and finished 15th in the majors. And it's worth noting that a botched double play may have cost the Cubs a shot at the World Series that year (Game 6 vs. the Marlins).

Final NL Central standings
Brandon
Cubs
Cardinals
Brewers
Astros
Reds
Pirates

Trevor
Cubs
Cardinals
Brewers
Astros
Reds
Pirates

Andrew
Cubs
Cardinals
Astros
Reds
Brewers
Pirates

OK, readers, I want to know what you expect from this year's Cubs. Share your predictions (in whatever categories you want) in the comments!

3 comments:

  1. Don't know about the Cubs stuff, but I predict I won't be the only one immaturely snickering at your mention of a Christol ball.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't post: how about an Onion-esque post about CBS's insistence on reminding us every minute of their Final Four coverage that Detroit is in economic ruin and that it is 90 miles from East Lansing? I wanted to throw a wolverine (no, not my wife...an actual wolverine) through my TV screen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's worth noting that we also predicted wins for Rich Harden. The category lost some competitive edge when everyone guessed 13. Anyone want to venture a guess that's not quite so unlucky?

    ReplyDelete