Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Rumor mongering

From Buster Olney's blog:

"It felt like Jake Peavy was taking on the Dodgers all by himself in the Padres' season opener, and when he didn't dominate, they didn't win. And it feels like it's only a matter of time before he winds up in a Cubs uniform. The possibility of a future trade hovered over the Padres' ace, as Tim Sullivan writes."

I realize many people are sick of the Peavy rumors, but I found this tidbit interesting because I agree with Olney--I think there's a darn good possibility Peavy will be pitching at Wrigley later this season (as a Cub, not a Padre). The Cubs are in a win-now mode, will have a new owner soon, have room to add payroll, and with Peavy eating up 15% of the Padres' payroll (only to increase in the next three years), it just makes sense that the trade talks would be revisited.

I almost went so far as to lower my prediction for Sean Marshall's wins based on the assumption that he would be moved to the bullpen when the Cubs acquire Peavy. But who knows? A lot can change in a few months, but it sure is fun to fantasize about a rotation of Zambrano, Peavy, Dempster, Lilly and Harden.

1 comment: